Tuesday, October 1, 2013

#TLAP: An Amazing Tweet Chat

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

I'm writing this blog post not out of an obligatory sense but because I am actually really excited about what took place tonight.  For my class here at UNI, I was required to do some work in Web 2.0 whether it be a Tweet Chat, Webinar, Online Conference, etc.  Tonight I participated in #tlap, which is a Twitter book study about the book  Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess.  The chat happens every Monday night from 8:00pm-9:00pm central time.  I had never actually done a tweet chat before, so it was interesting to see how the conversation flowed.

The topic covered during that period was about incorporating fun into the classroom.  There were many experts participating in the chat and they were all talking about how we need to have intrinsic motivation for our kids through fun.  This was refreshing to read because I usually am nervous about using fun activities in the classrooms I shadow since I might step on the teacher's toes.  I actually tweeted to the chat about that and I had multiple people tweet me back including a UNI alum who is a principal in Iowa and the author of the book himself!  Usually when I am blogging I don't really feel like I am being heard, but it is evident when I used twitter that I am.  This was just the spark I needed to really get into the educational side of Twitter.  From the chat I had a few people follow me and when I went to their profiles, I saw that they had some valuable content.  One lady even gave me tips for when I get into my own classroom.

I plan on using this in my own professional life as a way to connect with others to see what types of ideas I can incorporate into my own classroom.  I would also try and help out others who might be wanting to implement new technologic
al ideas into their own rooms.  This chat really changed me because I used to think educational tweeting was hard to follow and pointless, but now I am really excited about all the possibilities it presents me.  I also learned a lot about incorporating fun ideas into my future classroom.

If there is anything to take away from this post, it would be to try and engage in some tweet chats, they really open your eyes!  Here's a link with some great ones to participate it.

What Tweet Chats do you participate in?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a successful event, Nichole. Now you just need to go to the next tweetchat and share your link to this blog posting and you will gain followers. Guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, your posting caused me to buy the book.

    ReplyDelete