Monday, November 18, 2013

Second Life Challenges

This week for my Emerging Instructional Technology class, we are working with alternate reality.  I wasn't really quite sure of this assignment at first, but like always, it started to grow on me as I worked with it.

The program that I'm talking about is called Second Life and is used as a virtual reality for a lot of people.  The first thing I had to do with it is go on a couple quests to really get a feel for the program and what I could all do with it.  I'm very bad with any type of gaming or alternate realities, so I Was really dreading having to work with this.  It was especially weird when someone started chatting with me on there telling me their avatar was cuter than mine.  Interesting.

As I continued on with my quests, I found myself starting to become more familiar with the simple tasks required by Second Life.  There are a lot of things about this program that I still have to learn, like being able to chat with others, meet up with specific people, etc.
You know, the types of things that you would actually want to use this program for.  I'm sure once I start working with it more, I'll become more familiar with it.  I actually have quite a few quests to do, so I need to get back to it.  Before I close though, I'm curious.  Has anyone ever used a virtual reality in their classrooms or ever thought about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment